How to import data from CASES and CHESS
Note: These instructions only apply to Victorian schools who use CASES or CHESS as their school administration package (SIS).
Non-CHESS Schools Automated Import
Schools that still use CASES without CHESS have the option of using a utility that will automatically import their CASES data into XUNO. Student, staff, parent and contact data is automatically imported once per day at around 6am - meaning all changes and additions are automatically added into XUNO within 24 hours!
Exporting Data from CHESS / CASES
You must setup your CHESS export formats before you can complete these steps. The export formats only need to be setup once, and updated whenever there are any export changes.
Learn how to setup your export by reading the related article below titled 'How to setup the export from CHESS'.
- Login to your CASES 21 software.
- Click on the Utilities menu (on the bottom left) and click on Export Data.
- Click on Export data from the database.
- Scroll through the list of all available exports and find the ones titled XUNO ... Export (previously SM Tool... Export).
- Run each of the XUNO exports by clicking on the Run Export button located in the toolbar. You'll be asked where to save the export - just remember the location you choose as you'll have to retrieve the files later.
How to Import Your CHESS / CASES Data into XUNO
- Login to XUNO as an administrator.
- Click on the Options menu and choose Import & Export Data under Software Settings.
- In the Import drop-down, choose one of the CASES... options that corresponds to the file you exported; then upload that file by clicking on the Browse button.
- Once you have selected the correct file, make sure that the Tab delimiter option is selected.
- Click on the Import button to proceed with the import.
- Repeat steps 3-5 for each CHESS / CASES file that you exported in the previous section.